Friday, October 24, 2014

Gratitude Challenge -- Day 24

1.  The experience of rain.  For the last several days, Southern Oregon has greeted the long awaited need for that watery substance.  While I realize the importance, my gratefulness comes from a more melancholy place.  I love the sound and smell--the drops hitting the leaves outside my bedroom window; the fragrance of thirsty soil.  I stand on my patio and close my eyes and my senses do a happy dance.

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. 
                              ― Roger Miller

2.  Courage in the world.  I don't believe anyone gets up in the morning with the intention of doing some act of courage.  Probably never shows up on a To Do list.  Courage comes unexpectedly, often from an unconscious level.  A parent steps back, realizing a moment is needed to calm down before disciplining his child.  An exhausted mom goes to work knowing her children depend upon her.  A cancer survivor once again faces the periodic tests.   Would I have the courage to step in their shoes? 

I wanted you to see what real courage is, 
instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. 
It's when you know you're licked before you begin, 
but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
                             --- Atticus Finch  
                                                                   From To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment