Sunday, October 12, 2014

Gratitude Challenge -- Day 12

1. BBC Series.  It's an addiction I have no intention of giving up!  Approximately 17 series so far...    I have some reluctance to ever actually return to Great Britain due to the high murder rates--Midsomer County has at least three every time Inspector Barnaby is called; about the same wherever Rosemary Boxer and Laura Thyme are creating lovely gardens while searching for killers.  Of course not all the series contain gruesome bodies.  Many are a lighter, more slice-of-life-in-a-village type.  I've not even begun to exhaust my list--so if I'm difficult to find, just take a gander across the pond.

                              Rosemary Boxer:  ...and overcome with grief, she committed suicide.
                              Laura Thyme:  And overcome with tidiness, she buried herself?
                                                                                   --- Rosemary and Thyme, 2003 

2.  Chocolate.  Since I truly believe in healthy eating habits, I created a new food group for this smooth, gooey, sensual pleasure--removes all guilt.  And after reading the quote below, I realize chocolate also brings one a sense of participating in history...

 Just the other day, I was in my neighborhood Starbucks, waiting for the post office to open. I was enjoying a chocolatey cafe mocha when it occurred to me that to drink a mocha is to gulp down the entire history of the New World. From the Spanish exportation of Aztec cacao, and the Dutch invention of the chemical process for making cocoa, on down to the capitalist empire of Hershey, PA, and the lifestyle marketing of Seattle's Starbucks, the modern mocha is a bittersweet concoction of imperialism, genocide, invention, and consumerism served with whipped cream on top. 
                                                                               --- Sarah Vowell

 


No comments:

Post a Comment