Saturday, October 18, 2014

Gratitude Challenge -- Day 18

1.  Serendipity.  Unanticipated good experiences make my day.  Syncing one device into another is a job I often leave for an expert--or my 12 year old grandson.  Yesterday I went to Radio Shack for the completion of that task.  I walked up to the counter and the clerk, looking down at some paperwork, asked me what I needed.  I explained and he took the devices.  Still no real eye contact, and certainly no smile.  I looked at his shirt and saw his name.  "You and my favorite cousin share the same name," I said.  He looked up and smiled and with enthusiasm shared the five-generation history of the name in his family.  When I left, his expression had changed and I continued my errands with a new vigor.  Serendipity is not one sided.

A great attitude does much more than turn on the lights in our worlds; 
 it seems to magically connect us to all sorts of serendipitous opportunities 
that were somehow absent before the change.”
                                      ― Earl Nightingale


2.  Really good authors.  My test as a reader is whether the author can take me into the story--whether fiction or nonfiction.  To get lost in the words.   To find myself in their country or home or relationship.  To feel their pain.  To celebrate their triumphs as a close friend.  And lastly--our Book Club motto:   Good authors write books with beautiful sentences.

What I like in a good author is not what he says, but what he whispers.”
                                               ―  Logan Pearsall Smith
 

No comments:

Post a Comment