Thursday, October 23, 2014

Gratitude Challenge -- Day 23

1.  My Grandfather.  Was the gentlest, kindest, and most hug-able man in my young life.  I'd run to his lap and beg, "Grandpa, tell me stories about the olden days," and away he'd go--hopping freight trains and drinking moonshine his most repeated tales.  He had a distaste for anything Democratic--NOT a role model for my current political views--and knew all professional sports were rigged.  But somehow those stories took on a tender tone, while I cuddled in his safe, loving arms.

 A Grandfather shares his wisdom, his stories, and most importantly 
a love that is different from all other loves. 
                                                                                       ---  Catherine Pulsifer

2.  Mother's Irish-Drinking-Catholic Family.  They taught me to laugh.  I mostly saw Mother's family at funerals and weddings--and as a child, I saw little difference in the two ceremonies.  "Spirits" was the common denominator...  Usually a band played and I danced, and my brother--the future musician--sat at the edge of the stage to watch the performers.  At each table one could hear laughter--family stories, neighborhood bar tales, etc. etc.  As I whirled around with or without a partner on the dance floor, the world was a happy, laughter-filled place.

May the sound of happy music, and the lilt of Irish laughter, 
fill your heart with gladness, that stays forever after.   
                             --- Irish Toast

No comments:

Post a Comment