Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Intention...

When I first began yoga about four years ago, our instructor spoke about intention:  Why do we take yoga?  What do we want to accomplish?  and more personally, On what aspect of my life do I want to focus?  Intention is not about perfection.  It's about where I put my energy.  Some might look at intention as a sort of prayer.

For a year or so, my intention involved Jen and her battle with cancer.  Then, slowly, I realized that in order to be there for her, I wanted physical, emotional and spiritual health.  My intention took that direction.

As I contemplated this new year and yoga, I decided on a more core issue--self-love and acceptance.   In years past, I've spent time in therapy and read lots of books trying to understand this concept since much of my background taught that self-love means selfishness.

Yesterday a good friend gave me a quotation by Dawn Neader.  After reading it, I saw that by first-person-ing it, I had a beautiful definition of self-love and acceptance--which, of course, omits the self-criticism and negativity that can so easily accompany my thoughts. 


My heart remains full.
My soul is free to play and dance in the wind.
Peace is living in my heart.
Energy is my best friend.
Good health is my companion.
Adventure fills my days.
My eyes sparkle with joy.
My tears well up with gratitude.
I am held in the arms of loved ones.
I feel the joy of giving love.
Creativity is a given.
Every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment