Saturday, January 24, 2015

Are Four-Letter Words REALLY Bad?

Language is an interesting topic.  What is proper in one setting is looked down upon in another.   I think of myself as fairly well educated, and certainly articulate on subjects I'm familiar with.   So I'm not lacking in vocabulary when I admit it's quite easy to use certain words in certain situations that give me greater satisfaction than the more polite, O for goodness sake.

Living alone, I have no one holding me accountable to any one particular standard in word usage.   I can say most anything in Gilly's presence as long as I have a smile on my face...

So when I trip on the vacuum cord or my computer and/or IPhone speaks in a language only understood by those 16 and under, I immediately take this as an opportunity to exercise my vocal cords with one-syllable terms not at all related to the situation but which bring great relief to my stress level.

My first memories of saying the inappropriate--according to my childless (though expert in all parenting) uncle--resulted in my mouth being washed out with soap.  Sad to say, this punishment didn't have the intended effect.  One individual in my adult life--who shall remain anonymous--attempted the use of shame after I said damn--that didn't work either.  While recognizing and admitting to this long-held habit, I must include that a filter falls into place when I'm around children--well usu...ally.  (Correspondence with my grandchildren might be necessary for complete accuracy on this point.)

I don't mean to offend--though I admit to feeling a funny bone tickle in the occasional irreverent.  My use of the four-letter word is almost never at a person--well, not in their presence.    So I'm not pledging to give up on these words/phrases...though I might consider the hand gestures that--only on rare occasions--go with them...


It took me about a second before I realized I'd done it again.  
My mouth seriously needed a chaperone.   
                          --- Elise Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment