Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Admission...without pride or Sell-by Date

After spending more hours scrubbing than one appliance deserves, I kne-w-w-w-w disclosure was imminent ...well, only if I completely disregard personal pride and dignity.

I hate refrigerator cleaning!  (I have heard that confession is good for the soul...)  Perhaps a few sessions in therapy would take me to the origin of this painful admission...could also help me with the attitude adjustment I sorely need.  But today, with company coming this weekend (hoping they don't read this and decide the I-5 corridor to Mary's B&B is not the best chosen route), I decided the task could no longer be put aside.  I plowed ahead.  First emptying the shelves and doors; then dismantling the in-nerds. That took perhaps 25 minutes.  The white interior, after a good scrub, then clean drawer liners now looked wonderful!  Job well done!

Then I turned around and saw my counters--FULL of 1/2 empty/1/2 eaten food containers--with an occasional mold peeking around the lids.  When had I bought all this?  I couldn't remember using this salad dressing, lemon juice, ketchup (I don't even like ketchup!), jams, chocolate topping, mayonnaise, wine vinegar, etc.   Even Gilly stood at a distance.  Obviously, the next job is REALLY why I don't like this experience.  I am also reminded, as I look over the mess, that I rarely check the Sell-by/Use by dates.

I won't go into just how far the dates went back in history--I do have some dignity.  But I will say that most of the labels are no longer found on grocery shelves....

Now the most-hated job is completed!!  The refrigerator looks lovely--albeit a bit empty.   Smells clean!  Everything in its place.  Wanna come over for dinner...before disaster hits once again?
 
I keep the ketchup in the fridge, 
though from now on I’m going to keep it in the bottle. 
Less messy, I figure.
                                   ―  Jarod Kintz

No comments:

Post a Comment