Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Twenty-five



The next morning Megan opened the shop door as Stephen stepped out of his car.  “Hey, I didn’t expect to see you!  Come on in and we’ll have some coffee and one of Isabelle’s delicious pastries.”

Stephen smiled and gave her a hug as he entered.  “Is anyone else here, Megan?”

“No just me, Moscato and Gilly.  Is there a problem?”

“I just want to thank you again for last night, Megan.  I called Michael when I got home.  He has suggested that perhaps I think about doing some traveling before settling down.  So I came by to tell you that I will be leaving here as I planned.  However, once I get myself settled in New York, I’m making my trip to Italy.  I have a lot of thinking to do, and need a clear head to make some decisions for my life.  Can you think of any place better than Venice and Florence for that?”

“Are you sure you needed to tell me all this, or are you just gloating?” Megan smiled as she grabbed his hand across the bistro table.  “I think it’s absolutely wonderful!  You do need time.  However, I don’t want you to feel badly that others who care very much about you have to endure the cold, gray skies of Oregon winter.”

“Sorry, Megan, that’s pure jealousy coming out.  I’d see a counselor if I were you.”  They laughed together and it felt good.

Just then Isabelle entered the shop.  “It’s good to see you my Friend.  Come join Stephen and me.  Want some coffee?”  Megan stood up to hug her friend.

“I’d love some.  I’ve been up since early this morning baking.  I haven’t had a chance to thank you for Rachel’s clothes.  She loves them, and I think they’ve changed her personality.”

“Rachel and Kaitlin had a great time shopping.  Reminds me of what I’ll be doing with Emily in a few years.”

“When will Rachel work to pay them off?”  Isabelle wanted to be sure Megan followed through on her work-for-clothes exchange.  Megan had already done so much for them.

“Really, Isabelle, I do need help, and I’ll call in a few days when I get more organized.”

“Megan tells me that you’re baking up a storm with several customers already, Isabelle.  That’s great!”  Stephen hesitated.  “Ah, have you heard that I’ve resigned at Sunset Baptist?”

Isabelle looked shocked, and tears welled up in her eyes.  “What?  Why?  Did you hear from Roland?”

“No, no, Isabelle.  I’ll explain it all in Sunday’s sermon.”

“Stephen, you’ve been so supportive of me.  I want to wish you the very best.”

“Goodness, I’ve got to get going.  I’ll leave these pastries, and I’m off to Eugene for another delivery.”

After Isabelle left, both Stephen and Megan spoke at once and laughed—something they did so easily together.  “OK, you go first, Stephen.”

“I cannot get over the change in Isabelle.  She has personality, her face lights up just looking at people, she’s articulate, and even her clothes seem different.  She has color inside and out.  You and Diane are her saviors.”

“No, I think we both hoped there was some light left in her after all her years of deprivation.  She is an incredible woman—and after hearing her story, I’d say she comes from pretty courageous stock.  Isabelle shared with Diane and me some things about her mother.

“So, when do you take off?”  Megan wanted to know but didn’t want to know.  She’d miss him terribly.

“This Sunday is my last sermon.  I’m going to haul my things up to Michael’s and they’ll be put on his moving van to Binghamton.”

Megan looked at him with sadness.  “How do you plan to tell your
congregation?”

“I’m going to be honest with them.  It’s not an easy subject to
approach under the best of circumstances, and I’m sure many won’t understand, but I’ve been living a lie too long.
 
          “Stephen, I haven’t been to church in years, and have no desire to begin, but would you mind if I come? You’ll know you have one no-holds-barred supporter.”

          “I’d love that, and to be perfectly honest, I hoped you’d suggest it.”

          Stephen left and Megan called Diane.  She answered after the third ring.  “Good, I’m glad I got a hold of you, Diane.  I haven’t seen you in a few days.  Is everything OK?”

          “Jeremy has a bad cold.  He’s home from school today, but if I have to put a faucet on his nose, I’m sending him back tomorrow!  What’s up with you?”

          “Well, I have a favor to ask.  Would you go with me to hear Stephen’s last sermon this Sunday?”

          Megan could hear Diane’s intake of breath.  “Well, I’ll respond with two questions.  First, you’re going to church?  And, why is it his last sermon?”

          “Well, Stephen has resigned at Sunset Baptist and is leaving town, but I’d like you to hear it all from him on Sunday.  Willing to go with me?”

          “Sure.  I think I can.  Let me check on a babysitter for a couple of hours.  What time does the service begin?”

          To be continued...

         

No comments:

Post a Comment