Friday, May 2, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Twenty-six



         Sunday morning Megan drove Emily to Kelli’s and then picked Diane up and they headed for Sunset Baptist Church.  Once in the sanctuary they were surprised to see the very casual wear of the parishioners.
 
Megan looked around.  Dark walnut pews held about 70 people.  A large wooden cross hung at the back of the pulpit, and a beautifully carved speaker’s stand stood to the left.  A choir loft completed the area at the front.  Small stained glass windows lined the sides of the room.

Weddings, funerals and a few Christmas programs dotted Megan’s memories of adult church attendance.  While friends with many who faithfully went to church, Megan herself felt claustrophobic in the environment.  But today it was for Stephen.

Diane and Megan saw Isabelle and waved.  She quickly walked over to her friends.  “What in the world are you doing here?  Aren’t you afraid the roof will fall in?”  Isabelle laughed at her own joke.  Megan and Diane smiled at one another and then back to Isabelle—so pleased that she could make a joke like that.

          “We’re here to listen and support Stephen.  Can we sit with you?”

          “Of course,” and in a whisper she added, “now that Roland isn’t here, I usually sit toward the back.  He always wanted me to be front and center.  I hated that!”

          The women settled in their places as the service began.  After the opening hymn and special music, Stephen walked to the pulpit.

          “Good Morning, Friends," he began.  For several minutes he spoke of a loving Jesus, giving examples of his outreach to those who were considered not acceptable to others.  Then he hesitated for several seconds, and with a change to a more serious demeanor, he continued.  "I have spent many hours thinking and praying about how I want to address you this morning.  As most of you probably already know, I've sent letters to the Church Board stating that I am resigning my position here as your pastor.”  Surprised looks showed on a few faces.  Stephen continued, “Today is my last Sunday here with you.  I will truly miss you because I’ve come to admire you for the way you reach out to others as Jesus did; the way you conduct yourself in business and community services; the way you care for members of this family.

          “I have felt respect from many of you I’ve come to know.  However, my reason for leaving will present you with a new challenge.  Fellow Christians, I am gay.”  Megan could see his hands tightly holding the sides of the pulpit. 
 
“I have been living a lie, and I cannot live a life of integrity if I am living a lie.  I’ve been aware of my sexual orientation since puberty, but any church I attended, at best, called us sinners.  So, in order to be accepted, I kept it hidden.  I married a wonderful woman because I thought the issue was about changing me.  Then I came here after my divorce because I thought living singly would make it all right.  But I still have to face myself in the mirror each day.

          “Christianity is about knowing Jesus as my Savior, and following the commandments He gave of loving the Lord my God and my neighbor as myself but that all is intermingled with living a life of integrity.

          “I know the position conservative Christianity takes regarding homosexuality.  Therefore my resignation will allow you to find someone to replace me whose beliefs follow this community’s position.  I sincerely thank you for your kindnesses and wish you all well.”

          Stephen sat down as an elder uncomfortably came to the pulpit to announce the closing hymn.  The organ began and several families rose and walked toward the rear of the sanctuary.  Megan glanced up at Stephen watching the people walk out of the church door.  Pain shrouded his face.

After the hymn and final prayer, Stephen and the elders followed their usual practice of walking to the rear of the sanctuary to shake hands as members left the service.  Row by row the congregation walked toward Stephen.  Many shook his hand and several older women reached up to hug him.  But many walked swiftly past him.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment