Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Thirty-five

As Isabelle pulled into her driveway, Rachel came running out.  “Mother, there’s a call for you.”

“Who is it?” 
 
“I don’t know—some man.”  Isabelle took the receiver.

“Hello, this is Isabelle Fisher.”

“Mrs. Fisher, this is Curtis Wilson.  I live in Portland, but my mother owns a building in Maple Village.  I’ve heard that you’ve started a bakery in your home.  If you want to expand your business, you might be interested in looking at this  property.”

Isabelle felt a tingle go through her.  That is exactly what she’d been thinking, but hadn’t had time to even begin pursuing any possibilities for a building.

“Well, actually,” she began hesitantly, “I have been considering just that, but haven’t had time to do any research.  Where is it located?”

“My parents owned a small restaurant in Maple Village about 15 years ago.  They closed it when my father became ill, and they moved up to be near my family.  He died about six months ago, and my mother is interested in doing something with the property.  Would you like to take a look at it?  The kitchen needs remodeling, and there’s an area in front where they had tables.”

“Goodness,” Isabelle began, as she struggled with comprehending all he was saying.  Is this really falling into place so easily?  Yes, I think I'd like to look at it.”

“I’m coming to Maple Village on Friday.  Would it be convenient to meet together at 2 o’clock?  The storefront is just next to Granny’s Cooked Goose.”

“Of course, I’ve even looked in the windows and wondered what the rooms contained.  Yes, I’ll meet you at 2 on Friday.  And thank you, thank you so much!”  Isabelle felt elated.  Was this really possible?  Could she actually have a business of her own?

Soon after she’d received her mother’s insurance check, she’d opened a savings account in a Eugene bank with Rachel as the beneficiary.  She knew that wouldn’t keep Roland from taking half of it if their marriage ended, but she wanted to keep the news of the inheritance as quiet as possible.

Rachel stood by her during the conversation with an anxious look on her face.  When Isabelle hung up, Rachel asked excitedly, “Mom, what was that all about?”

“Honey, we just might open a full-fledged walk-in bakery!”

“That would be so cool!  Could I work in it?”  Rachel had enjoyed her time in the Book ‘n Brew, and learned the etiquette of waiting on customers.

“I said ‘we’ didn’t I?” Isabelle affirmed.  “Yes, of course!  I’ll need your help.  I might even consider paying you!”  They laughed together.  Life had begun taking on a whole new meaning since just the two resided in their home.
 
“I think I’ll call Megan and see if she can meet with us when we look at the building.”

On Friday at 2 p.m. prompt, Isabelle, Rachel, and Megan stood at the door of the one time restaurant when a car drove up.
 
Curtis Wilson got out and walked over to the women—at over six feet, he towered over them.  “I haven’t been to Maple Village for several years.  It is so beautiful this time of year!”  I’m Curtis Wilson.  And which of you is Isabelle Fisher?”

Isabelle held out her hand.  “Hello, I’m Isabelle, and this is my daughter, Rachel, and my best friend, Megan. Megan owns the Book n’ Brew down the street.”

“I’m glad to meet you.  Let’s take a look at the facilities first, and then we can talk about possibilities.”  The four walked into a cloud of dust and gloom.  “I think I’d have been much smarter if I’d come a day early and aired out the place and washed the windows.  This looks like something out of Alfred Hitchcock.  I hope there’s nothing lurking behind any doors.”  They all laughed.
 
The front room had large windows—very nice feature.  A counter and cash register stood near the front door.  The kitchen facilities definitely needed updating.  Isabelle envisioned the wall at the back of the kitchen knocked out for more space.  But with remodeling—more ovens and work tables and storage added in the back space, Isabelle saw great potential.

When the tour and discussion of possibilities concluded, Curtis suggested they go next door to Granny’s Cooked Goose to continue their discussion.

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment