Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Twenty-eight



“Hey, Kiddo, you sound like you’re having fun.  What’s up?”

“Mom, Mrs. Donnelly asked me to stay for dinner," Emily answered excitedly.  "They’re having pizza!  And we’re going to watch a movie.  I’ll be home by 8 o’clock.  I can stay, can't I?”

“Sounds like fun.  You have a good time—and help clean up, OK?”

“Of course, Mother.”  Megan always knew she’d pushed her daughter’s buttons when Emily called her “Mother” in that don’t-you-think-I-know-anything tone of voice.

“See you by 8, then.”  Megan hung up the phone and decided she’d check on Diane's boys.  They were sitting like statues watching Up, a recently released DVD.
 
As she walked toward the kitchen door, her friends were coming in from the patio.  “It’s starting to get a bit chilly,” Diane said as she shivered.
 
“How about a warm cup of tea?” Megan did not want them to leave.
 
Stephen hesitated.  “I really have to get home and finish packing.  I’m headed to Portland on Tuesday.  Michael’s moving van is arriving there on Wednesday.  I’m renting a U-Haul truck to Portland and towing my car behind it.”

“Could we come over and help you?” Diane asked with enthusiasm.  “Just what you need—three women going through your things.”  They all laughed.

“I appreciate your offer, but I’m organizing what I’ll need in Binghamton, and what will go in storage, etc.  I think I’d better do this myself.”

“OK, but come over for dinner tomorrow night.  In fact, you can all come.”  Megan wasn’t ready to disconnect from her friends.

Diane spoke up first.  “I can’t.  I’ve got a conference call tomorrow evening.  In fact, Kaitlin is babysitting so I won’t be interrupted.”

And I am baking all day.  Got a big order from the bakery in Eugene,” Isabelle followed.

“Well, I’ll say goodbye to you both now.”  Stephen stepped forward to give them each a hug.  He again expressed his appreciation for their support.

Just then Jeremy and Jordan came bounding into the kitchen.  “OK, Guys, let’s get everything put back together and head out,” said Diane, though she, too, was reluctant to leave.

Monday slipped by quickly with much accomplished.  Megan called Rachael and set up times she would come in to work.  As she closed her cell phone, she glanced at Chris.  “You’re as lit up as a Christmas tree, Chris!  What’s that all about?”

“O nothing,” Chris suddenly looked shy and embarrassed.

“Would I be too far off base if I suggested that you’re happy that Rachael will be working with you on inventory?”
 
“O come on--no, of course not.  Well, I mean it will be nice to have help, but I don’t care who it is.”  Megan heard not one ounce of honesty in his voice.

“Christopher!”  Megan almost shouted.  “Rachael is the girl you’re ‘in like’ with, am I right?”

Suddenly Chris’s face turned three shades of red.  “OK, so I think she’s pretty hot.  Well, she is friendly, and really cute!”  The more he spoke, the more his face brightened.

“Chris, you need cold towels on your face or you’re going to pass out!”  Megan found more and more reason to enjoy Chris.  In some ways he was so grown up, but at times like this, he was the 17 year old that she wanted to squeeze.
                              
Just after Megan closed the shop and went upstairs, she heard Stephen open the door and come bounding up the steps.  It felt good to have a friend who felt comfortable enough with their relationship that he could come right in without knocking—if only he weren’t leaving tomorrow.  “You’ve got a lot of energy after working on your packing all day.  Have you cleaned out your office at the church?”

“Everything is done.  I hadn’t really settled in to my church office.  I did much of my work at home.  I mostly used the church to meet with parishioners, so I hadn’t accumulated much there.

“I do have a few plants.  They’re in my car.  Would you like them?  Nothing fancy—just a couple of ivy and a philodendron.”

“Yes, thank you.  I love house plants—OK, not all plants like me, but I’ll give them a try.  I could also use them in the shop.”
 
 After dinner, Stephen and Megan took their coffee into the living room.  While Emily finished her homework, they chatted about possibilities for future visits.

“You know what would be fun, Megan,” Stephan said with a twinkle in his eye, “perhaps we could plan a trip together someplace!”

“Stephen, don’t suggest such a thing unless you’re serious.”  Megan didn’t like to travel alone, but the thought of accompanying Stephen might be the incentive she needed to begin an itinerary.  “I think that’s a great idea, but I can’t get away right now, and you have lots to sort through.  But let’s stay in touch with the idea!”

At 9 o’clock, Stephen left.  He wanted to get a good night’s sleep so he could take off early in the morning.  Chris had helped load his few pieces of furniture and boxes, and tomorrow he’d “slip in his toothbrush.”

Yes, thought Megan, pretty soon he’d be gone.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment