Friday, April 18, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Nineteen



Frost covered the trees on Thursday morning.  Steam from Megan’s coffee whirled up to warm her face.  Another beautiful morning.

Emily’s a.m. reluctance began as soon as she opened her eyes.  “Mom, why do you wake me up so early?  You know I’m not a morning person!”

“Em, you talk to your principal about changing the hours of school, and I’ll be happy to let you sleep in!  Until then, my Little Lady, you need more than 20 minutes to get ready for school.  So get up now, Kiddo!!”  Megan gave her a love tap on her butt.

Later, downstairs, Megan heard the bell as she was straightening books in the Philosophy section.  She looked up to see Isabelle coming through the front door carrying a basket.  “Hey, my Friend, good to see you!”  Just then the last customer walked up to the register, and Megan continued, “I’ll be with you in a minute Isabelle.”

“I got up early and baked this morning so I could bring you some sweet samples.”

“O my goodness!” was all Megan could say when she saw the pastries.  “These are gorgeous and smell wonderful!  They look like works of art!  I want to take pictures of them!  You’re going to have to tell me what they are!”
   
“I brought samples of Moroccan Almond pastry, Chorizo and Ricotta Tart and Black Forest Cheesecake.  I haven’t made them in such a long time.  It was fun!”
 
“What do I owe you, Isabelle?  I’m not sure anyone is Maple Village has seen anything quite like these!”

“No, I don’t want you to pay for these, Megan.  Let’s see if anyone likes them first.  The next batch I’ll take your money.  Besides, I don’t have my license yet—I’d get in trouble if I sold them.”

Just then the shop door opened and in walked Stephen.  “Well, seems to me I’ve seen you two before!  What are those?” he said when he saw Megan filling the trays of the showcase.

“Come on let’s have some coffee and goodies!”  Megan couldn’t wait to bite into one.  They both hmm-ed and ahh-ed as they sampled the treats.

“So, did Roland get back?” Stephen asked innocently as he munched on some samples.
 
Isabelle looked at Megan.  “Yes, Stephen.”  She still had a difficult time calling her pastor by his first name.  Roland always insisted on more formality.  “He did, and he left again, but this time without me.  He found a church in a small town in Texas.  I told him Rachael and I would not be going with him.”

Stephen looked up at Isabelle and then over to Megan, and realized he’d stepped into something.  Isabelle spoke up.  “It’s OK, I called Megan last night and told her, and that’s part of the reason I’m here right now.”

“Please forgive me for intruding.” 
 
“Actually, I planned to call you today.  Roland and I talked last night, and I knew you’d need to know because of his position as Head Elder.  I really have nothing to keep from you.”

“Well, more importantly, is there anything you need right now?  I will say that you have my support.  I’ll let you ladies talk.  You can stop by anytime you need to see me.”  Stephen was secretly elated that Roland was gone.  He hoped it was where the man would be happy--though he didn’t think that with his current belief system and controlling ways, he’d ever be happy.

Isabelle smiled.  “Thank you, Stephen, for your support.  I do want to talk with you, but give me a few days.  Right now, Megan and Diane are the friends I need, and I’m hoping to get their help in finding a way to earn a living.”  She chuckled and went on, “I know there are brains somewhere inside this skull of mine.  It’s been awhile since I’ve called upon them for much of anything.”  They all laughed.
 
Stephen got up to leave and said, “Actually, I came to see if my book has come in.”

Megan looked up.  “I expect it any day.  I’ll call you when it arrives.”

As Stephen stood he put his hand on Isabelle’s shoulder.  “I mean it—please call me if you need anything.”

After he left, Isabelle’s eyes lit up.  “O my goodness!  I almost forgot to tell you what I got in the mail this morning!”
 
“From the look on your face, I'm thinking it's good.”  She couldn’t believe the change in this woman who, at nearly 40 years old, was finally coming of age.

“It’s a letter from an insurance company.  Evidently Mother took out a life insurance policy after she came to visit Roland and me when he was sick that time.  You know, I told you about it.”  Megan nodded.  “She listed me as the beneficiary.  Now they have to verify some information about my identity, and then they will send me a check.”

“How much is it for?” Megan hesitated.  “I’m sorry.  That’s none of my business.  Whatever amount, it's probably coming at a good time.”

“I’d be glad to tell you if I knew.  I was busy baking so didn’t do much more than read the notification.  I have to get my birth certificate, drivers’ license, etc. together and mail them notarized copies, and then they’ll give me all the information.”

Just as they were cleaning up their crumbs, Diane walked into the shop.  While Isabelle brought her up to date on the happenings in her life, Megan finished the display of new bakery items.

At last Diane spoke up.  “Isabelle, if Rachael can babysit for me tonight and Laurel can take care of Emily, how about the three of us going out for dinner?  I know it doesn’t sound exactly like a time to celebrate, but instead of looking at a situation of ‘breaking up’ let’s view this as a ‘growing up’ of Isabelle, and honor you!  What do you say?”

They each agreed to do their part to make the dinner happen.

That evening, with babysitters in place, the three women met at P & J Diner—the perfect place for celebration.  As they entered, Bill Haley and the Comets’ were rockin’ around the clock from a jute box in the corner.  Pictures of Elvis, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez, Frankie Avalon and other stars of that era adorned the walls.  Red booths with chrome-plated tables covered the room.

Owners Marilyn and Joe Harding, themselves of the 50s era, had never heard such laughter coming from the small corner booth.  The women ordered a bottle of wine, and to the astonishment of the waitress, even Mrs. Fisher, the wife of that horrible religious man, could be seen drinking a small glass.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment