Thursday, April 24, 2014

Life, Etc. -- Twenty-two



On Tuesday, Louise and Danny stopped by.  “Do you still want Danny to tell stories, Megan?”  Danny’s face lit up.
 
“You bet!”  Megan’s heart warmed at the sight of this very sweet
young man.  “In fact, I had your names on my To Do List to call you today.  Chris worked up a flyer and some posters, so let's talk about dates.  What stories do you want to tell, Danny?”
         
“I want to tell Do You Want to Be My Friend? and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do you Hear?  Are they good ones, Megan?”  His face showed so much excitement that for a second she felt desperate that it be a success for Danny’s sake.
 
“Danny, those are great choices!”

“Thank you, Megan, I will do my best.”  Danny spoke his words with careful diction.
 
The rest of the day went well with several customers cashing in their gift certificates for good gray-day, winter reading.

Just before closing, Stephen walked through the door.  “Hey, Stranger, I haven’t seen you in ages--in fact, hardly since Thanksgiving.  Where have you been keeping yourself?”

“Actually,” said Stephen, “I was so busy with the Christmas program and other things going on at the church.  And then I spent several days around Christmas with friends in Portland.  I haven’t been ignoring you—honestly.”
 
“Well, you have been missed.  Isabelle and Rachael spent Christmas with Emily and me.  Diane and the Boys went to see family at the coast.  And I’ve been busy here.  We must all get together again.  Thanksgiving was so much fun!  You’ll have to ask your friend, Michael, to come down again!”

A shadow crossed Stephen’s face.  It was slight, but Megan noticed it immediately.  “Is Michael OK, Stephen?”

“Yes, but do you think we could get together for dinner again.  I really need to talk with you.”
 
“Sure, Stephen, why not come up to my place?  Emily goes to bed at 8:30 on school nights, so we’d have privacy.  You’re looking so serious.  Are you sure everything is OK?”

“Well, it’s not OK on one hand, but very OK on the other.  I’d like to wait and talk about it when we can get together.”

“Sure.  Will Thursday work for you?  You have Prayer Meeting on Wednesday, don’t you?  How about 6:30?”

“Hey, that would be great.  Thank you.  I’ll be here.”  Stephen left without another word.  Megan stood looking at the door wondering what Stephen would be saying on Thursday.  Does he suspect that I have just a bit of  a crush on him and he wants to tell me he has no interest?  Or he’s found the love of his life?  OK, Megan, don’t start making assumptions….
                      
Chris walked through the door singing on Thursday afternoon.  “Hmmm, you must be in love!”  Megan had the feeling since winter break that Chris had more going on in his life than previously.
 
Chris smiled.  “Well, as a matter of fact, I think I’m in like.
 
Megan laughed.  “I haven't heard that expression in years!  Are you going to tell me about her?  Do I have to hold back your paycheck until I get a full report?”  She hoped Chris enjoyed her teasing as much as she loved giving it out.

“I’m not divulging anything yet.  I’ll tell you after our first date.”

"I’d like to stick around and prod you, but I’m going to see some art work that I may be hanging in the shop.  Call me on my cell phone if you need me.  I won’t be gone too long.”

Because of the temperatures—in the low 30’s—Megan drove the short distance.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment