Monday, December 16, 2013

Pull of the Inner Me...

I'm recently finished The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg.  Nan, the protagonist, is a woman who loves her husband and daughter, but in 20 years of marriage has lost herself.  She sets out on a road trip to find who she is at the age of 50--to remember who she was and what parts of the past need to be revisited, and what she wants to take into her future. 

Who of us--especially women--haven't thought of such an adventure?  This may take some real honesty to admit.   As a young woman, my identity and purpose were so tied into being a good wife and mother that I unconsciously closed off any such reflection.  After the Girls left, that thinking surfaced.  But the trip never happened--not in any physical, hitting-the-pavement way.  That energy went into journals--writing, day-after-day--expressing my thoughts in a more exposed way.  I was not so bold as to say I've got to get away or If I could just get in the car....  No, my references were far more subtle--I wasn't ready to be completely honest even with myself.

Today I live alone and one would think--why does she need to get away?  And it's true, I can do most anything my budget and time allows.  But there's still a part of me that wants to hit the road...to experience an objectivity by being unknown, perhaps even unseen.  I'd like to get in my car and drive on only two-lane roads, stop in small towns, eat in Mom and Pop diners, listen to local conversations.  I want to stop along the road and listen to sounds--birds, creeks, the rustling of the wind.

I have no need to escape anyone or anything.  I'm really quite content with my life.  Perhaps I'm wondering if there are parts of me yet undiscovered.  And will I find them--on my own--without a voice next to me saying, O look at that! or are you hungry yet? or where do you want to stay tonight?  I want to use all my senses to experience me in an unknown setting.  

Note to self:  Add to Bucket List for Spring, 2014 

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.  What you'll discover will be wonderful.  What you'll discover is yourself.  ~Alan Alda

No comments:

Post a Comment