Sunday, December 29, 2013

Just floatin' along...

One of my favorite Christmas gifts this year was a trip to Float On (see http://floathq.com/ ) in Portland.  Jen and I have been there before, but this time, perhaps because I felt more familiar, I had no nervous anticipation.

Have you ever floated?  Do you know what floating is?  It is literally about the body floating in highly concentrated Epsom salts water in a tank in total darkness.   Due to the level of Epsom salts, the body naturally floats. (AND BY THE WAY...The water is fully filtered 3 times between each float, passing through a 10 micron filter and a brominator.)  Since I'm not really a water-person, when I first heard of the experience, I was hesitant, yet instantly curious. 

A great deal of research has gone into this form of body therapy.  Besides the obvious relaxation of spending 90 minutes floating without distractions in a dark chamber--this experience lowers the body's levels of cortisol, the main chemical component of stress; helps to relieve pain; and gives the muscles, joints and bones a break while not having to fight gravity. 

Thank you, Jen!  A lovely together experience...no, not together!  In separate tanks, in separate rooms...

No comments:

Post a Comment