Sunday, October 13, 2013

Manual Reading....thems four letter words!

I bought a new radio/CD player for my car.   One year later I still can't turn it off--OK, you techno-nuts, hear me out.

When PCs were first making their way into offices, my boss had just purchased one to use at home.  He came in the next morning with a smile indicating he and his PC has begun a compatible relationship--which meant he had read the instruction manual.  (Also, he had a photographic memory so he never forgot anything....)  Later that morning, I sat with what was becoming my normal frustrated look as I tried to figure out yet another avenue toward computer competence.  I called into John and asked him how to accomplish the task.  "Mary, you can read the manual."  So what was this about?  This normally very nice, generous man....his statement made no sense!

I walked into his office, sat down and said, "John, there are two people with computers in this office.  One has read the manual.  That means there is no reason to duplicate that task."  It's about efficiency, right?

Over the years I've learned quite a bit about computers--well, considering my generation....  But then came cell phones, iPads/iPods, Notebooks, Kindles....each with their own manuals.  Fortunately, the sales young men and women could demonstrate the various functions.  Also my grandchildren can work most any piece of technology in their sleep, and are willing to share this knowledge, albeit with a look of astonishment at this grandmother's incompetence--(but then reconsidering the fact that I walked 8 miles in 3 feet of snow to get to my one-room school....). 

After many years of living life quite happily without manual reading as my top priority--or even of importance at all--I wonder.  Is it about having to read boring words or a new language that takes one into the realm of science fiction:   subwoofer, TOC ERROR, Variable Scanner, and KDC-X396.  Come on now, I just want to occasionally change stations, and work the on/off switch!!

I read directions just fine--you know, those pictures that show the size of the screws, with shelving marked "A" and "B".   That works for me!

So maybe it's about learning style rather than stubbornness or incompetence--pictures vs unknown lingo

Wow -- I feel so much better.

Now all I need is my grandson Jack to show me how to turn off my radio/CD player in the car....


3 comments:

  1. Ok one more time. To post. Loved meeting you And to my delight we both love the same authors hope you got Sarum by Rutherford. I know you will love being lost in The history and stories of England. Can't wait to return to Medford. Until then I will continue to read your blog. Joell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joell -- Thank you for all your comments! It was such fun meeting you -- know we'll have fun getting better acquainted when you leave your sun bird status behind, and settle in our beautiful valley! I haven't gotten Sarum as yet--I have several books I must get read first. But it is high on my "to buy" list.

      Delete
  2. I once found a small antique french writing desk. put it in my bedroom under a big window. Here I was preparing to write (with a quill if necessary) my first novel. just like J.Austin..or Elizabeth Berg. (love love love her). It even had a secret compartment. alas no old letters or tin types. but the belief a woman once sat here and wrote was enough to inspire my dreams... I loved that writing desk. and why I ever decided to give it to my adult neice remains a mystery? Now years later it is gone into the world once again. and I sit at a keyboard...somehow it's just not the same...no vibes from years past... I understand how you feel about the little dressing table. Treasure from our past..bridges to our future....

    ReplyDelete