Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Bellyaching, Criticizing, and Grumbling...just stop it!

I am usually an optimist--I'd rather observe likes, not dislikes.  I prefer seeing the glass half full--not dripping with habitual skepticism.  I don't like negative confrontations.  You get the picture.  

Of course, in the real world we encounter all kinds of people....  But the type that I really prefer NOT to be around are the bellyachers, criticizers, and grumblers;  those who wear their negativism like a shroud--gray, dirty, and ragged.  Remember the picture of the man carrying a sandwich board saying THE END IS NEAR?  Those types, i.e. "Kids today....(followed by a diatribe of condemnation)".   "Why did that have to change?  It's always been that way!"   "My back hurts..."   "My legs ache..."  And the list goes on...and on...and on....  And then they become a pain in my butt!  Do these people reach a certain age and become negative or were they always that way and I just didn't notice?

So, why, if I'm such an optimistic, positive-thinking person, do I allow this to bother me so much?  My thoughts:

1.  Complaining does nothing to change any situation!  Change brings renewed energy.  A change in thinking is usually based on new research.

2.  Negative talking and thinking creates negative energy.  I can feel it when I enter a room.  It promotes a vicious cycle and magnifies a chipped toenail into a broken leg.

3.  Negativity isn't problem solving at any level.  It only adds to the dilemma.

4.  It's inter-generational.  Children raised by complainers become adult complainers--don't argue with that one!  I was a teacher in my former life....

5.  It causes one to lose hope.   After obsessive thinking comes delusional thinking.

6.  People who are negative are a pain-in-the-arse to be around!  B**chers and complainers are no fun to spend time with.

I could list more but you''d stop reading. 


In all honesty, I'd better own up now...I have been known to be critical....on occasion.  My Girls will tell you just how picky, persnickety, prissy, and particular I can be...  (Yeah, that's taking alliteration w-a-a-y too far.)  We all have little pet peeves--and let's face it, no one likes a Pollyanna.  

I'm looking outside right now and I hear children laughing as they play basketball next door.  I just emailed a friend who's coming for a visit next week.  Our autumn days have been beautiful!  I'll probably talk to my Girls this weekend.  I had dinner with four great friends the other night, and went to a musical.  Life is good.... 

No, it's not perfect.  There are six month cancer monitorings; divorces; abused children whose reports I read each month, and yes, occasionally my back does hurt.  Life isn't easy.  And the older we get, the more challenging life becomes.


But every get-together, every social function isn't a time to unload all our personal problems AND/OR societal madness!

Let's try smiling from the inside more often...you have my permission to remind me if I appear to have slipped on that gray, dirty, ragged cloak.  Then just maybe, we can be the change we want to see in the world!  





No comments:

Post a Comment