Monday, September 23, 2013

Sometimes You Get More Than You Bargained For....

About 40 minutes ago my doorbell rang.  When I answered, a man carrying a bucket and rags, asked if he could wash my windows outside.  Did he actually notice from the sidewalk that it has been months--OK, years since that surface has been cleaned?  We talked about cost, etc. for a couple of minutes and then I agreed that he could give my winter months greater light with a quick swipe of his squeegee.   I really dislike washing windows!

However, it seems I'm getting more than I agreed to pay for.  You see, either I'm hearing voices OR this man is speaking to himself--when the talking first became apparent, I checked to see if someone had joined him.  He appears to be alone.  Is he a lonely man, or someone the DSM will find a nitch for?  

I am completely sympathetic with mental illness--come on, let's be honest, most of us are aware of family members whose names are mentioned only during the holidays and after a few drinks.  The gentleman seems very nice, and quite friendly--whether conversing with me or the invisible friend.  And he says he loves the Lord--which could be very valid or cause, again, for a DSM diagnosis. 

It appears he doesn't have a car--does this mean he's lost his license?  Too many DUIs?  Delusions?

I'm looking out at my patio as he washes, with his guarantee there will be no streaks.  It looks like the squeegee works well.

Gilly has been on alert status since the man entered our yard.  I did suggest that my dog is very protective of me--as Gilly stood wagging his tail delighted that he had company.  As usual, Gilly's barks speak more to his desire for attention than my need for protection.

Hmmm...I just heard the man use the F*** word.  Guess the Lord doesn't have him speaking in heavenly tongues as yet.

Interesting observation:  I'm seeing some OCD tendencies at work.  He's washing my patio window for the third time.  Now that's the one window that gets fairly regular attention.  Does this mean I am now observing a diagnosably delusional, OCD client I've just invited into my yard?
 
A couple of minutes ago I heard his phone ring.  He answered and it appeared that the conversation went on and on.  Then I realized the two-way chat may have returned to the one-way.  Should I interrupt?

But you know, the windows are clean!  No streaks!  I think I'll chalk this up to an amusing and worthwhile experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment