Saturday, September 28, 2013

Best Friends -- On That Forever List

Two friends I met in high school, and remain close to today, I met in PE class.  We were sophomores, newly decked out in royal blue PE uniforms, standing in line for roll call.  I felt nervous, and probably the only one who had never worn a PE uniform--I'd come from a very small town in the hills of Ohio; from a class of 36, to Medford, OR and a class of nearly 500 students!  Our last names came close in the alphabet, so as we stood together, we introduced ourselves.  Something clicked, or cliqued....and the mold was set.

I hated PE--I'm not competitive, don't care who wins, rather not play in the first place, thank you very much.  When dividing up teams, players took one look at me and then freely offered me to the other team.  I didn't fool anyone.  Each year we had 3 weeks of swimming.  My sophomore year, our instructor was a first-time teacher.  The first day of swimming, I told her I was having my period.  I didn't get in the water the whole three weeks!

Elaine was pretty much in the same boat.  She didn't inherit any "sports" genes either.  Even her mother thought her stride to be ungainly.  When she registered Elaine for dance classes, she told the instructor, "Please, just teach her to walk."

Donna on the other hand was good at sports.  Raised in a large family, she often participated in all kinds of games that enabled her skills to improve.  And she cared....  She wanted to do well; whereas, Elaine and I couldn't have cared less. 

The three of us went to movies--once a police officer pulled two whole rows of kids into the back of the theater to scold us for being too noisy.  Elaine stood with hands on hips in front of him just glaring.  If she hadn't looked so hilarious--and non-threatening--we would probably have all been arrested.

We double-dated, had slumber parties, romped around the halls--always one step from confrontation with a hall monitor for our silliness, noisiness, or goofiness.   

As often happened in those days, we married our high school sweethearts.   

Elaine and Donna and I have remained friends for 50+ years.  Throughout all that time we've each had diverse experiences, but remain connected.   After many years absence on my part, we once again reside in the same town.  Sometimes I wish we had more everyday kinds of activities in common, yet we are there for one another when any of us are in need.  Major events in my life have always been accompanied by these friends.

I've come to find great satisfaction in thinking of them as sisters--since I have none.  Sisters' lives are rarely shared on a day-to-day basis.   Elaine and Donna and I will sometimes be out of touch for days or weeks, but when the phone rings and call waiting shows either of their names, the connection is instant. 

These friends fill that part of my heart that's set aside for family--and as we get older, that space becomes more precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment