Monday, September 16, 2013

Bucket Lists

Last spring I went zip-lining.  For many this might sound like an enjoyable experience--or not.  But I don't like heights and don't place adventurer as one of my top 10 personality traits.  HOWEVER, when friends suggested this as a group activity, I admit it had some appeal--OK, honestly I felt scared spitless!  So it was with hesitation I added it to my Bucket List--then spoke as if this activity had been near the top of my list all along.

After a couple of weeks of contemplation, and the encouragement of friends, I joined our group the day of the event--hoping that loud, shrill screams are part of the acceptable protocol of the first mad dash from the hooks or lines or whatever fastens me to the earth.

Upon return from this adventurous feat--after hugs from participating friends, I felt  exhilarated and ready to take on any height or depth.  I made it through all five zips.  And it was great fun!  It was wonderful!  My Bucket List began to grow--sky diving, para sailing, scuba diving.  Good heavens--what was I thinking!!  Anything that takes me high above or below water is an automatic, heart-pounding NO!  The only real thoughts I've ever had about traumatic death (mine) relate to water activities....

I don't think that age defines when Bucket Lists begin.  As a girl, then young married, and on to middle aged career woman, I always had ideas swirling around in some region of my brain that hoped, wished, or dreamed of something in addition to my everyday run-of-the-mill norm.  Now I'm more aware of doing-it-while-I-can-activities when I hear my age bracket referred to as "elderly."

So, what's it going to be?  Lazing around with a boring book, weeding obsessively because I'm afraid my neighbors might complain, and saying yes when I really want to say no to the next request to _____(fill in the blank)?  No, I need more excitement...

Looking seriously at my list I see two destinations:  Italy and the San Juan Islands.  I've actually been to both places, but now I'm ready for new memories.  The trip to Italy will be a bit spendy.  How can I work that out...retired, limited income, etc...?

Do you have a Bucket List?  Want to start one?  Have you always wanted to go someplace--dreamed about it, fantasized about it?  Do you have an adventure in mind that seems cost prohibitive?  How about a cruise?  Can you make it happen?  How can money be raised--have a garage sale, take a part-time job, dog sit/dog walk?  OR if the impossibilities of this adventure make you feel discouraged, why not choose another item to begin with--a week at the coast, a trip to Disneyland (Yes, it's still one of my favorite destinations!), and make that happen?

Or what about something closer to home?  When I first retired and moved to Southern Oregon, I often had ideas for entertaining, but not the accompanying courage to make it happen.  Then one December holiday season, I asked my friend, Lori, to help me plan a party.  It turned out to be great fun, but more importantly, I felt brave enough to try myself the next time.  I've had teas, coffees, and wine and dinner parties, and look forward to more opportunities!

So don't wait to be invited--invite friends over!  Provide all drinks and food, or make it potluck.  That way no one has the whole burden of cost and work.

What about other items on your Bucket List?  Want to find people with like interests?  I started what I called Gathering of the Goddesses.  We met every other month for a year.  Each time I invited the women to bring an item and our discussions centered on that--an object from childhood, holiday memories, favorite books....  No, it didn't continue, but that's not important.  The group introduced me to other women.  This year my friend, Judy, began a group we call the Creative Crones.  I enjoy all these opportunities to get to know women who enjoy many of the things I like and challenge me to gain new experiences.

Try something that will help your Bucket List expand and give your life new adventures.  Then let me know what's happening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment