Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Adventures with my Fitbit Tracker

On July 25, my life changed--or at least my morning routine.  I bought and put on my wrist, a Fitbit Tracker.  For those of you who are not familiar with this device:  The Fitbit Tracker uses a three-dimensional accelerometer, similar to that in the Wii Remote, to sense user movement. The Tracker measures steps taken, and combines it with user data to calculate distance walked, calories burned, steps climbed, and activity duration and intensity. It uses an OLED display to display this and other information such as the battery level. It also measures sleep quality by tracking periods of restlessness, how long it takes the wearer to fall asleep, and how long they are actually asleep--all according to Wikipedia.

Since the beginning of time--well, my life, anyway--I have never excelled in physical activity.  In school, no one wanted me on their team because I didn't care who won or lost...I just wanted my PE requirement completed to graduate. 

I have taken yoga for four years because, while it is excellent for one's health--physical, emotional and spiritual--its aim is not to push exorbitant movement that leaves me exhausted and sore in every joint.  So it's not as if I'm a complete couch potato--yoga is excellent for one's body.

Back to the Fitbit Tracker...  Now I walk every morning.   My neighborhood isn't large, so I often cover the same streets twice--and I sometimes chat with neighbors and allow Gilly to meet new dog-mates.  Because of his excitement over taking a walk, he's a great motivator.    

Since the weekly goal is 70,000 steps, and I sync after each walk, I can watch my progress.  I love it!  And I'm accomplishing great exercise, beginning my mornings in a lovely, getting-good-fresh-air way, and giving Gilly his sniff time.  Returning to my home, I walk (every step counts!) to my computer, and sync in the newly covered distance in steps.

I like this--no competition other than with myself as I try to improve!  It's fun -- if you need encouragement and something to hold you accountable, try a Fitbit Tracker.

I get no commission on this product...

No comments:

Post a Comment