Monday, April 20, 2015

Remembering our Mothers...

Mother died three years ago today.  My high school--and still close friends--Elaine and Donna and I packed a picnic and headed into the mountains for a time to celebrate our mothers.  We shared stories--of times they embarrassed us, and more often, we embarrassed them.  And we each thought of tales that the others didn't recall. 

We talked of ways we are very much like our mothers.  We spoke of characteristics we hoped we didn't inherit.  Since our mothers knew all three of us AND one another, there was little ever hidden.  And perhaps that's part of what made today so much fun!

Donna and Elaine's mothers had proper funeral/memorial services, but there was none for my mother--that's the way she wanted it.  Now, three years later, I'm happy to have friends willing to take this time for a ceremony of remembrance.

"Mother, you've been in my thoughts most of this day.  
I still miss you like crazy."   



No comments:

Post a Comment