Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Delight of Listening...

I enjoy hearing books on tape as I travel.  Whether driving to Portland, heading out for OLLI classes, or just running across town to complete an errand list, the voice coming from the CD player takes me on a journey into the lives of characters who add interest, occasionally adventure, and certainly new perspective to my life.  And I especially love books narrated by the author--with just the attention to words or phrases or characters he/she intended! 

Several years ago, I listened to I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!  Then about a year ago, I thought it might be fun to read it myself.  Before the end of the first chapter I realized something was missing.  What made the story come alive was hearing Fannie Flagg's voice creating Maggie and Hazel and Brenda and Babs. 

I've listened to other books read by the authors, and it adds a connection as well as an extra level of perception.  Perhaps because I enjoy writing, as I listen to the designer of these stories and characters, I think about the whole creative process.  Where do the ideas come from?  Who in their lives models the many characters?  Did the creative process flow, or come in dribbles?

Nowadays we are so fortunate to have books in many forms.  While I still prefer paper, I'm using my Kindle more often as time goes on, and, of course, books-on-tape fill in those gaps of time when holding a book is both dangerous and unlawful...   

The companionship and delight of a voice telling stories is incomparable.  
                               ---Stephen Fry 

No comments:

Post a Comment