Thursday, March 5, 2015

Another Bucket List Item Completed

Yesterday I spent several hours in a police patrol car.  Let me first explain that it was by my own choice.  And I spent those hours sitting in the front seat.   The experience was interesting with only a few disappointments.   Officer Neighbor--who will otherwise remain anonymous...though in all honesty, he is an officer and he is my neighbor--was my host for this adventure.

Let me explain the disappointments first.  I was not allowed to assist in any arrests--though I was more than willing.  I did not carry a loaded gun--I imagine that reality came due to Officer Neighbor's concern for his own safety.  I was not asked to use karate moves to apprehend any drug dealers...while it's true that karate is not my forte, the warrior yoga pose can be quite intimidating.  So alas,  I'll not be written up in any national, or local, publication for my heroism.  No You-Saved-A-Policeman's-Life Award is headed my way.

And now the good part.  We--Officer Neighbor and I...spent the afternoon and early evening in a couple of warrant pursuits, a traffic check, radar detecting, and investigating a disturbance call with lights flashing and legally going through red lights...obviously the most fun for me!  At one stop, while Officer Neighbor knocked at a door, I diligently checked the outbuildings (remaining in the car, of course!)--because we all know how bad guys run out the back door and hide in sheds.  I had a machine gun, or was it an AK-47, or maybe it was a handgun beside me, so knew I could take down the perp (see I'm even learning the language).  And there are those who say TV programs aren't educational...  Perhaps here I should suggest an award for patience for Officer Neighbor...

For a policeman this day wouldn't be considered terribly eventful.  But this new experience gave me another perspective to consider.  As we drove from place to place and I witnessed Officer Neighbor carrying out his duties, I realized the simple act of exiting his vehicle brought his safety into question.  As we drove with lights flashing and sirens blaring, I saw the risk to police and others as well.  In other words, even in a small community, stress for police officers is a constant reality.  Yes, they choose the career, but most of us don't enter our workplace with daily safety being our major concern.

I've been acquainted with Officer Neighbor going on eight years.  I have high regard for him and the integrity with which he carries out his duties.  I'm also not so naive to believe that ALL law enforcement works from those standards--I taught diversity classes too many years to believe that.

My experience yesterday was good.  I get a special feeling in my heart when I see lights flashing and sirens blaring and watch cars pull over to respect the needs of emergency vehicles--Officer Neighbor said that respect is not a given.  He has to be diligent when he takes the liberties his badge affords.

So, an enjoyable undertaking.  An opportunity to learn. Officer Neighbor is one of the good guys!

   A Bucket List item checked off.  What's next?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment