Thursday, July 10, 2014

Moments, not words...

In college, I'd sometimes have to do a verbatim for assignments in counseling classes.  I was not good then--I'm not good with verbatim now.  O, of course, there are past, emotionally packed occasions, when I either heard or said words that still ring verbatim-ally in my memory, but they are few.

What I do remember well are moments.  They may come at times when I smell a particular fragrance; or see a color or flower.  I may be watching a movie, tear up, and realize a memory has surfaced that has deep meaning.  Sometimes it's the emotion evoked from hearing a song.

I'm happier remembering moments--though they certainly are not always happy moments.

Hearing the sound of Jennifer's voice as she told me of her cancer diagnosis several years ago.

The emotions I felt as I read the text she sent me this week announcing no cancer cells!

Standing next to Mother's bed when I realized she was gone.  And now, walking into a store and seeing something red and wanting with all my heart to buy it for her.

Watching Kathy hold Sean to breastfeed him in the hospital.

Reaching back to give Curt a thumb's up as we watched Jen and Vic take their vows.

Seeing the ultrasound pictures that told me I had another grandchild on the way.

The music programs at Kathy's academy when her beautiful voice gave me such pride.

Walking across the university campus in Kenya after I'd heard the news of a friend's death in the States--thousands of miles away.

The memories of conversations--not the words--that evoke sorrow and the sense of helplessness because the results could not be changed.

Sensing from Gilly that he was home when he jumped into my car as we left the Humane Society.

Moments--not words.  Emotions and a connection with one's senses.   Understanding that come from such a deep place.

These moments bring meaning to my life--sadness, laughter, love, loneliness, contentment, joy, and gratitude for what they've taught me.

Time stands still best in moments
 that look suspiciously like 
ORDINARY LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment