Friday, July 4, 2014

All important conjugation: Have read, Am reading, and Will read...

I love seeing the phrase:  Summer Reading List...because it means there are new, interesting offerings that I may have missed on my Spring Reading List or my Winter Reading List or last year's Fall Reading List.

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
                           ---Anonymous
 
I have already begun my SRL.  My first selection:  Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo tells a story of the culture of survival that develops amid the greatest poverty in the world. 

There is no such thing as  a moral or an immoral book.  
Books are either well written, or badly written.
     ---Oscar Wilde
 
Another quick purchase at the airport, Daddy's Gone A Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark.  Escape reading when you don't want to get into a chinwag--love that British slang because it's appropriately descriptive--with my seatmate.

Next, a book that attests to my ever-so-slight addiction to Jane Austen:  Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale.  If I admit the premise of the story I may become more-than-a-little embarrassed because, although a fan, I am not a purist, and this story is just another avenue into the romance of her times. 

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...
The man who never reads lives only one.
---George R.R. Martin
 
I have two books on order:  Northanger Abbey by (none other than) Jane Austen; and The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian--another favorite author.   Then, this morning, I got a notice from Bookreads that Jen had read The Girl Who Came Home by Hazel Gaynor.  Sounds interesting, so I put it on hold at the library.

So here I go--again confirming my lifelong addiction.  Every chance I get--and remember I'm retired, so I can make those chances happen--I will find a comfy chair or rest on my patio swing and read...and read...and read.

I sometimes pretend to myself that I have insomnia 
when what I really have is a good book and inadequate respect for tomorrow.
---your e-cards


No comments:

Post a Comment