Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Black and White of It All -- Chapter 6



Millie’s memories continue

That summer I had a babysitting job—Monday through Thursday.  Babysitting helped me buy school clothes.  One Thursday morning as I ate breakfast, Mother asked me to take the garbage out before I left.  I went from room to room collecting the trash and headed out to the alley behind our apartment.  Just as I dumped it into the container, I looked up the alley and saw Robbie waving his hand from the passenger side of his grandfather’s truck.

“Hi,” I said rather shyly as he walked up to me.  I’d almost given up seeing him during the summer.
 
“How about a picnic sometime?”  I couldn’t believe it.  He really did want to be friends!
 
“Well, I’m babysitting and…” I started.

“Yeah, I know, but you don’t work on Fridays.  We could meet at the Morgantown cemetery.  How about 1 o’clock tomorrow?”  Robbie knew my summer schedule!
 
“That would be neat.  Do you like tuna fish sandwiches?”  I blurted out.

“Great!  I’ll bring some dessert.”  And he ran to catch up with his grandfather’s truck.  I stood there not quite believing what had just happened.

Friday morning I had a couple of chores completed before Mother left for her waitress job down the street.    Monday through Friday she put on her white shoes and crisp, white uniform with a flowered hanky pinned to the breast pocket.  

I worked without stopping and completed Mother’s Chore List.  Then I went to my room to get ready.  Just before I walked out I grabbed a table cloth from Mother’s old collection.

 The day was warm but I biked fast enough that the breeze kept me cool.  The Morgantown Cemetery was old.  Some of the dates on the tombstones were the early and mid 1800s.  It was in a remote corner of a field and couldn’t be seen from the road.  I’d been there before with a friend and we’d looked at the names on the tombstones— Abraham Lincoln Jefferson, Martha Elizabeth Johnston, George Washington Littleton.   

Robbie was already there.  He smiled and said Hi as he took my bike and parked it against a tree.

“I wonder why this cemetery is here.” I asked.  “I don’t know anyone buried here who is related to anyone in town.”

It's a Negro cemetery.”  I was shocked.  I’d never heard of a Negro cemetery.

I looked at Robbie.  “Why is there a separate cemetery?  Don’t you want to be buried in the church yards in town?”  The way he rolled his eyes suggested that I didn’t know much.

He shook his head and said, “Millie, it’s not that we don’t want to be buried in town.  We’re not allowed to be buried in a white cemetery.”

I looked at him unbelieving.  “Why that’s ridiculous!  When people are dead, they’re dead.  What difference does the color make?”

“You’re pretty naive, Girl.  You’ve lived in your little white world without realizing there is any other kind out there.”

And this was the first of our weekly picnics for the rest of that summer.  We talked.  We ate.  We laughed.  We teased.  We became comfortable.  We became friends.  The time spent with Robbie was the source of my true education—about life and love and hate.  It made my formal schooling seem useless.  I experienced first hand another world.

                    To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment